Today’s plugged in student generation is already searching for ways to connect with their future university. Whether they’re following you on Instagram, liking your Facebook videos or keeping up with your tweets about the latest news, your university’s digital footprint is how today’s students are seeing “if the shoe fits.” This is not news. And virtually every university is battling for your future student’s attention on social media. How can you cut through the noise?
Podcasting is quickly being discovered by companies and institutions who want to drastically boost their visibility and connect on a deep level with their target audience. A podcast conveys human emotion and authentic messaging. It is a direct line to your listener’s uninterrupted attention.
Add a podcast to your university’s toolbox to boost enrollment, build student success and community, and add value to alumni and donors lives. Our Top 10 Podcast Episode Ideas for Universities show you just how versatile and valuable a podcast can be!
10 Podcast Episode Ideas for your University
- You’ve hired the best of the best to lead your university to higher ground. Now, a podcast provides the ultimate platform to showcase the talent teaching on your campus! Sit down with professors in each department to learn about their teaching styles. Ask them why they love to teach, what hobbies they enjoy and more! Not only does this create a medium for connecting with current students, it also gives future students a glimpse of the dynamic classrooms they can find on your campus.
- New student orientation series: Round up your admissions counselors, current students and a handful of professors to create a roundtable discussion. Topics can include everything and anything a new student needs for success. Outline what they should know, do, bring, and look forward to as they prepare to join your university’s family.
- Commencement and graduation speeches that inspire shouldn’t only benefit attendees. Gift your alumni, donors and future students with an “audio ticket” to the best on campus speakers by creating a podcast series. The good news? You’re probably already capturing many of these events by video. This is a great way to recycle your content and use the audio for a podcast. Add value for your listeners by including a private Q & A with the speaker on the podcast after their speech. Whether you have a small budget or large budget, this one is a must.
- Student Spotlight: Future students want to understand what a day in the life is like of one of your proud students. Interview students you believe exemplify the spirit and values of your university. Select a diverse array of students with different majors, backgrounds, and stories to speak on the podcast, allowing you to meet your future students where they are at.
- There’s hacking for everything these days, but unfortunately graduating university within a four-year time frame continues to be a stumbling block in the US. Be a part of the solution by providing your students with a foolproof guide to graduating in 4 years. This could be counselors answering their most frequently asked questions, or directions on how students can make sure they are taking the correct credits for their major. Discuss hacks on everything from deciding a major to productivity habits and how to manage your time.
- Your goal as a university is to prepare your students for success in their future careers and lives. What better way to display the quality of your institution, than catching up with graduates and alumni who are making a difference in the world today. Not only could this become a helpful, valuable podcast for any professional, your listeners and future students will see you as a trusted path to success.
- There’s something new happening every second on campus. Keep your students and faculty in the loop with a weekly podcast on everything they need to know. Include information about new events, important deadlines, security procedures, and even a recap of a big game or a soundbite from the weekend’s musical.
- Over 70% of students take on a staggering amount of debt when they pursue higher education. Support your students’ decision to value knowledge by offering them a roadmap to navigating university financial challenges. From work-study opportunities, scholarship applications, advice on loan payment plans post-graduation, and resources for money management, this podcast could help students and alumni balance their debt wisely.
- A recent Gallup poll quotes that “relationships most affect graduates’ perception that their education was worth the cost.” While a strong education is the foundation of any successful university story, the community and campus culture are vital to your students’ health and wellbeing. The podcast possibilities are endless here, from inviting alumni roommates who are still fast friends, a husband and wife duo who met at a pep rally, or current students sharing how they found their niche. These stories will illustrate the rich culture that awaits future students.
- The highlight reel podcast could apply to your university across a wide variety of topics. Think sports: pre and post-game recaps, interviews with players and coaches, and soundbites from the game. Think theatre: a documentary narrative about the lead up to each play or musical, with monologues by students about their journey and the creative process. Think campus ministry: discussions on faith and spirituality, mental health and meditation.